Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A conversation with Prof. Luger

This afternoon, I had a conversation with Prof. Luger. I've read his book about Artificial Intelligence, and think he should be a guru in this field. Unfortunately, I took about 15 minutes to look for his office. But when I open the door, I saw a kindly old man standing in front of me, smiling and asking, "You're looking for me?". I'm sure, he's Prof. Luger.

Sitting in his office, I saw many kinds of AI games. I knew them from graphs, textbooks and computer programs, but today I saw the real ones! So I asked Luger about the Eight-Puzzle Game. I implemented a program using the Heuristic Algorithm to find resolution of it. Nevertheless, there were a lot of initial states which could not lead to any solution. I thought there must be some mistakes in my code. But Luger said that mine was OK. There were 50% of initial states that had no solution. The state space of the Eight-Puzzle was right divided into 2 independent trees. One could lead to a certain resolution, while the other could not.

Besides, Luger asked about my opinion about UNM. Knowing that I endeavored to set up a community about AI in my undergraduate university, he said that I was lucky because there were many professors here focusing on AI, like Machine Learning, Probabilistic Reasoning, Genetic Programming, etc. He also suggested me to talk with other related professors. Anyway, he added me as a member of his Loopy Group, and I would attend the first seminar this Friday.

My academic study in UNM is going to be started. How I wish I could step into the field of AI and achieve my final goal. Fighting!

No comments:

Post a Comment